Mr. Nichols states
"The Obama administration really needs to get over itself.
- First, the president and his aides go to war with Fox News because the network maintains a generally anti-Obama slant.
- Then, an anonymous administration aide attacks bloggers for failing to maintain a sufficiently pro-Obama slant.These are not disconnected developments. An administration that won the White House with an almost always on-message campaign and generally friendly coverage from old and new media is now frustrated by its inability to control the debate and get the coverage it wants."
- Since the founding of the republic, media outlets have been partisan.
- Presidents are supposed to rise above their own partisanship and engage with a wide range of media, even outlets that are hard on their administrations.
- The worst mistake a president or his administration can make is to try and "whip" relatively like-minded writers and reporters into line.
"As for the Obama administration, whether the grumbling is about Republicans on Fox or bloggers in pajamas, there's a word for what the president and his aides are doing. That word is "whining." And nothing -- no attack by Glenn Beck, no blogger busting about Guantanamo -- does more damage to Obama's credibility or authority than the sense that a popular president is becoming the whiner-in-chief."
"Through it all, it's been -- I have respected you. Sometimes didn't like the stories that you wrote or reported on. Sometimes you misunderestimated (sic) me. But always the relationship I have felt has been professional. And I appreciate it. I appreciate -- I do appreciate working with you. My friends say, what is it like to deal with the press corps? I said, these are just people trying to do the best they possibly can."