It’s no surprise that Barack Obama has blocked the military commission process that would have yielded the swiftest and most certain justice to the 9/11 plotters, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (KSM), the suicide-hijacking mastermind who brazenly took credit for 9/11 and numerous other attacks against the United States. It's no surprise because candidate Obama urged a return to pre-9/11 counterterrorism-by-courts and will go to such disgraceful lengths to exploit this terrible tragedy for political self-aggrandizement in order to continue his "blame George" agenda.
- Provides Constitutional protections to terrorists : Administration officials have admitted that detainees present in the United States likely have more protections—including constitutional rights—than those held outside the country.
- Intelligence: Past public criminal trials of terrorists have compromised U.S. intelligence information on al Qaeda, namely the Blind Sheikh and Ramzi Yousef trials.
- Increased possibility of release: Once the Administration voluntarily brings al Qaeda terrorists to the United States, even for detention and trial, it increases the chance they could be released into the country. Where detainees have sought a court order of release into the country, the main case denying that order turned on the fact that the detainees were outside the country.
- Prisoner radicalization: Importing the 9/11 conspirators into domestic U.S. prison facilities would provide them access to a prisoner population FBI Director Mueller has identified as particularly vulnerable to extremist recruitment.
- Logistics: The logistics of the Zacarias Moussaoui criminal trial do not seem like something local officials wish to repeat. Media reports described the city of Alexandria, VA, as a “virtual encampment” during his trial.
- Propaganda platform: Delay and abuse of the criminal process would likely attend the criminal trial of the 9/11 conspirators, such as Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. By comparison, Moussaoui’s guilty plea was almost four years after his indictment, and now, close to eight years after his indictment, his appeal remains pending in which he claims that his guilty plea should be withdrawn and a new trial ordered because he was confused about the charges against him. Moussaoui used the trial as a platform to mock the victims of the 9/11 attacks. Moussaoui abused the judicial process throughout the course of the trial, filing, among other things, motions “for a 1st Class Ticket on 747-400 Out of the United States Now” and to have a duel with “Chief Liar Ashcroft” in the judge’s courtyard.
It’s no surprise that Obama Attorney-General Eric Holder has made the decision to try the five cowards who plotted the 9/11 attacks in civilian court. Eric Holder's list of clients of his former law firm, Covington & Burling, represent 17 Yemeni nationals and one Pakistani citizen held at Gitmo. Covington & Burling’s Gitmo bar roster has included some of the most radical detainee advocates.
It’s no surprise since Holder, while deputy Attorney-General in the Clinton administration, pushed for the release of 16 violent FALN terrorists against the advice of the FBI, the US Attorneys who prosecuted them and the NYPD officers who were maimed by them, suggests that he was perfectly willing to put politics before the national security interests of the country.
For more insight into the opportunities that Barack Obama and his feckless administration and followers have served up on a silver platter to the 9/11 terrorists refer to the following from The U.S. Senate Republican Policy Committee (RPC). The RPC has identified 6 opportunites presented by the Obama administration to the 9/11 terrorists and al Qaeda because of their irresponsible, dangerous and politically charged decision.